iPinit: Chalk Paint........HOMEMADE!   

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Chalk Paint........HOMEMADE!

I finally did it! After seeing countless tutorials for homemade chalk paint on Pinterest, I finally decided to take the plunge and try it for myself. I read through as many as I could stand and I finally
decided that the mixture with the calcium carbonate was the one for me. http://pinterest.com/pin/257197828691499079/

This recipe seemed to be the most economical and it does not harden like most of the other recipes I found........which to me is a waste of good paint! A little goes a long way with chalk paint.

I have to admit that I did tweak the recipe a bit. I used the following:

1 Cup paint (get wild with that color!)
3 Tbs. Calcium Citrate powder - (you can find this at any health food store and most grocers) I couldn't find the calcium carbonate so I figured this was close enough.....it works.

Water
Mainstays (Walmart brand) pint mason jars

Pour 1 (one) cup of water into a pint mason jar. Using a permanent marker, mark at the water line. Pour out the water. Pour the paint that you have chosen into the mason jar, filling to the the line. Add 3 (three) Tbsp. of the Calcium Citrate powder. Gradually add about two tablespoons of water. The paint will seem thick at first but it will this as you stir in the water. add more water if needed but only a lithe at a time. You want the paint to be about like pancake batter. Not too thick and not too thin. I used a small wooden dowel to stir my paints. This also served as a paint color sample stick for me when I was done.

I always use Sherwin Williams paint. It is a personal preference not a requirement for the recipe. I just feel that I get more for my money with the SW samples.

Enjoy your paint.

Ciao for now!

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment